- Olive Oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped rosemary
- 400ml of vegetable stock
- ½ a teaspoon of sugar
- 2 x 400g of chopped tomatoes
- 410g of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon of dried mixed Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper
• Put the vegetables in a large saucepan with the garlic, rosemary, Italian herbs, stock and sugar. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Cover and cook gently for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
• Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes. Then using a hand blender carefully puree until smooth. Keep the blender flat on the bottom of the pan to avoid splashing.
• Once it is smooth, add the chickpeas and heat through for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and seasoning to taste.
• Serve warm with toasted French bread and melted cheese.