This is an extremely easy recipe and by adding the nachos and the cheese you can create a meal that children will love. Serve with rice, sour cream and guacamole for a true Mexican theme.
- 1 batch of the basic Ragu recipe
- ½ a red chill (de-seeded and finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of coriander
- 400g can of kidney beans (drained)
- 100g of tortilla chips
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
- 100g of mature cheddar cheese
- 200g of short grain rice
• Defrost the Ragu thoroughly if it needs it.
• In a frying pan heat some olive oil and fry the chilli for a few minutes.
• Add the kidney beans to a pan and cook in some water for 10 minutes until soft.
• Heat the Ragu in a large casserole dish and then stir in the kidney beans and the fried chilli. Add the cumin and the coriander. Cover and leave on a medium heat for approximately 15 minutes until it is completely heated.
• Place the nachos on top of the mince and then sprinkle with the cheese and the coriander. Using oven gloves place the dish under a hot grill so that the cheese melts and the nachos turn golden.
Tip: Try cooking your rice in a rice cooker. Not only does it produce beautifully fluffy rice but it means you can leave it to cook instead of watching it on the hob. You can also add spices and herbs to it whilst it cooks, letting the flavours infuse.