This Ragu forms the basis of many tasty recipes and is also a good way of getting your family to eat healthily as there are many vegetables hidden in the sauce. It will freeze for up to 3 months if you place it in sealed plastic bags. You can either defrost it in the microwave, in a bowl of room temperature water or overnight in the fridge.
Using this ragu, you can go on to make 3 other recipes available on this site – Spaghetti Bolognese, Beef and Spinach Cannelloni and Chilli Con Carne – so explore the options and enjoy!
Ingredients (cook once – makes 3 dishes)
1.5 kg of lean minced beef
300g of pancetta (or smoked bacon)
3 onions (chopped)
4 garlic cloves (chopped)
3 large carrots (chopped)
3 sticks of celery (chopped)
3 tbsp of plain flour (remove)
600g of chopped tomatoes
400g of passata
350ml of beef stock
150ml of red wine
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp of dark brown sugar
Tip: Due to the large amount of vegetables that need chopping, it will be easier to use a food processor. Cut your vegetables into quarters and then pulse a couple of times until completely chopped. Even smaller ingredients such as garlic cloves can be chopped this way.
• In a large pan or casserole dish, heat the oil and gently fry the onions, pancetta, carrot, celery and garlic for approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the mince and cook for another 5 minutes until browned.You may need to do this in two pans and then add everything into a larger one when it is ready.
• Mix in the passata, tomatoes, beef stock and the brown sugar and then season to taste.
• Cover and then let it simmer on a low heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
• If you are using a slow cooker transfer all the ingredients in to the pot and turn it to an auto setting. Cook for a minimum of 6 hours.
• Separate into three batches to make three meals and freeze or chill depending on when you are going to use it.